I&M Bank, a regional Bank with a fast growing branch network around the country, is seeking to fill the following position:
REF: DS/12/2016 –DATA SCIENTIST
The position will be responsible for mining information from vast amounts of data and providing necessary intelligence to deliver better financial products and services. The primary responsibility of the position will be the analysis of both internal and external data stored either in structured or unstructured form by using data analytics tools, applying data mining techniques and carrying out statistical analysis. The role will also be responsible for developing, maintaining, fine-tuning and re-using high quality predictive models to solve banking and financial problems.
The Incumbent will report to the Chief Information Officer and will be responsible for:
- Supporting various business segments and enterprise-wide business goals through proactive data analytics and predictive modeling, which shall include data-based customer insights, customer behavior, cross-sell opportunities, performance accelerators, industry forecasts, economic forecast etc.
- Ensuring scoping, designing and implementation of pilot projects and studies aimed at improving operational efficacy through innovative use of large data and advanced analytics.
- Developing and implementing data analytics capability both on structured and unstructured data.
- Establishing and implementing enterprise-wide data governance i.e. Availability, integrity, security, usability, correctness, and completeness of data.
- Developing and implementing data collection and storage procedures to ensure source data from diverse internal applications/ systems and external data sources where appropriate.
- Establishing and implementing data cleaning, de-dup, lineage and inter-relationship tools and techniques so as to ensure better use of data.
- Developing, testing and implementing algorithms and machine learning capabilities to solve business problems.
- Carrying out ad-hoc analysis on various business problems and presenting results in a clear and concise manner in collaboration with the business users.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics and other quantitative disciplines or its equivalent from a recognized institution. Master’s degree in Computer Science, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics and other quantitative disciplines or its equivalent from a recognized institution will be an added advantage;
- Proven competency with various advanced data analytics tools such as SAS, SPSS, R, Weka, NumPy, MatLab, etc
- Experience in data analytics techniques such as classification, association, clustering and prediction.
- Experience with data visualization tools, such as D3.js, GGplot, etc.
- Data governance experience in a financial institution.
- Experience working with unstructured data
- Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL and good cripting and programming skills
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase
- Hands on experience in advanced statistics analysis
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Banking and Financial Service Industry
- Familiarity with banking business models and customer across different Business Segment.
- Proven ability to solve complex problem with structured, hypothesis driven analysis
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Experience in development of KPIs and monitoring data insights to meet business goals
If you believe you meet the above requirements, send your application together with a comprehensive curriculum indicating your qualifications, present position, contact and names of three referees. Your application should reach the below address on or before 2 January, 2017. Please quote reference number followed by the position applied for in the application
The General Manager-Human Resources
I&M Bank Limited
I & M Tower, Kenyatta Avenue
P.O Box 30238 – 00100, Nairobi
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred)
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.